This is "Rabbiter' Camp", or more aptly, what is left of it. It is situated on Racecourse Road. The rabbit plague devastated plants and animals of the Mallee, changing people's lives and the landscape forever. A severe rabbit plague gripped the district in 1873- and so a slaughter was on!
The rabbit plague then seen farmers turn from their crops that were ravaged and their sheep that were starved to making money from culling of rabbits. Numerous ramshackle huts like the one in this image were erected and dotted along the Mallee landscape.
The sign reads .."Wonga Hut", a welcome shelter!
This hut was built in 1834 by the Committe Management to provideshelter for visitors to the Southern End of the Wyperfeld National Park, named "Wonga Lake Station". Until 1968, the only water available was that which was collected via the pipes on the roof of this hut, which was collected into a rain water tank.
Early houses of the region were built with logs and a bark roof. Later on, they were constructed out of corrugated galvanised iron as you see here. Presently there are some wonderful facilities here at the Wonga Lake area for visitors to the park. There is also an extensive collection of history to be seen in the visitors centre.